I know it's not quite the same, but I use Dropbox as a storage site for
everything.  When I'm done with a project, I tell my computer to delete the
file but keep it on Dropbox.  If I need it again, I download whatever part
i'm looking for or simply re-instate the folder on my machine.  As a
result, when my machine died last summer all I had to do was switch
machines and sync the dropbox, and I was back in business.  No worries of
external hard drive failure or loss.

It can be a little expensive, but I've got a deal with them for 1k/year of
unlimited storage so we've got like 5TB of files up there floating around
in the cloud. That plus no worries about data loss.

Cameron

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM, James A Perkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Linda,
>
> Ironically, I had just ordered a new 2TB hard drive on the day you sent
> your message. I got a Western Digital My Passport Studio portable drive
> with USB and two Firewire 800 ports. I like the fact that it has two
> Firewire ports so I can put it in a daisy chain with my existing LaCie
> Firewire drive. My computer does have Thunderbolt, but Thunderbolt drives
> are a good bit more expensive. I also need the ability to move this drive
> between home and school. Not all of the school computers have Thunderbolt
> but they all have either USB or Firewire.
>
> This particular drive comes formatted for Mac (HFS+). You can use any
> drive with your Mac, but you may have to reformat it if it's set up for
> Windows.
>
> The drive was $199 at NewEgg and includes both the USB and Firewire
> cables, which saves you a few bucks. Many drives don't include the
> cable(s). I noticed in my shopping that you can easily find a 2TB drive for
> under $100 if you get one with just a USB 2.0 connection.
>
> As for backups, I have the external LaCie drive plus a subscription to
> Carbonite for an offsite/cloud backup. I also burn DVD's periodically,
> although I'm long overdue. Can never have too many backups. This new drive
> is specifically for a bunch of videos I'm recording for school.
>
> Jim
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> HI All:
>> Is there any news out there that I should be aware of prior to the
>> purchase of a new external hard drive.
>> Probably a 2TB.
>>
>>  Any new technology?
>> Thank you in advance.