  _____

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Feltner
Sent: Wednesday, 19 June 2013 6:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] external hard drives

Wow, Geoff, that is smokin' fast....

Perhaps I should have detailed my needs first...

I need to upload all my job files, for a client I've worked for for 20+
years. The electronic files go back maybe 15. But I also have numerous
drawings, that are scanned.

Instead of uploading to the Cloud, the best way is for me to upload to an
external drive, and ship them the hard drive. It seems the City's method is
complicated, time consuming and may be fraught with issues.

I have no idea how many files or size I'll need, until I get into the
transfer, so I want to select a large enough size to have room. The faster
the better, yes. So the drive needs to be compatible with other machines. I
think the tech I send it to uses Mac. No idea of his operating system.

My operating system is OS10.6.8, and I don't have Thunderbolt. I could
probably connect through an ethernet port, or Firewire 800.

I now wonder if another mac can open the drive, if it has a different
operating system?

Your system sounds fantastic, though. I do like LaCie. They just seem to get
better and better.

Many thanks,

Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC