Hi All,

         I just woke up and wanted to add a little. These cheaper drives
sound like what Linda needs for her client but cheap single ones are not the
best for archival storage.

For one they will not be server-grade quality and for another they are not
Raid protected.

It's taken me a while to understand how Raid works and I don't fully
understand it. The simplest is Raid Zero where two hard drives work in sync.
That way if one fails you pull it out and replace it and away you go. The
trouble is if it starts to corrupt data before it fully fails the corruption
will be copied onto the good drive.

Raid 1 apparently is safer with two discs but slower. As the numbers  go up
to Raid 10 the safer the system gets. So the 4-bay or 5-bay Raid set ups are
much safer but of course more expensive.

However when you get 16 TB of server grade storage for $1,550 RRP with 4
disc Raid, USB 3 & Firewire, it suddenly looks like a better deal for
long-term storage.

 <http://www.lacie.com/products/> http://www.lacie.com/products/

 <http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=210>
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=210

The LaCie seem to be better value for the price when you get into Raid
protection options.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

  _____