As Britt, Jeff, and others have pointed out, Chuck's assertion that
copyright automatically transfers with the original artwork is dead wrong.
Here is the relevant passage from Title 17, Chapter 2, Section 202 of U.S.
Copyright Law:

" 202 . Ownership of copyright as distinct from ownership of material
object
Ownership of a copyright, or of any of the exclusive rights under a
copyright, is distinct from ownership of any material object in which the
work is embodied. Transfer of ownership of any material object, including
the copy or phonorecord in which the work is first fixed, does not of
itself convey any rights in the copyrighted work embodied in the object;
nor, in the absence of an agreement, does transfer of ownership of a
copyright or of any exclusive rights under a copyright convey property
rights in any material object."

In other words, selling the original artwork does not also transfer the
copyright (unless specified in a written contract) and, conversely,
selling the copyright does not automatically transfer ownership of the
original artwork. The only exception would be a work-made-for-hire
agreement, in which the original artwork, all rough sketches and other
preliminary work, as well as the full copyright belongs to the client.

And agoutistudios said:
"welll.  differs from state to state I spose."

Nope. Copyright is governed by U.S. Law. It doesn't vary from state to
state.

Jim