Geoff,

I think you may still have been asleep when typing this. Here is a good explanation of RAID types:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

RAID 0: Live Fast and Dangerous.

RAID 1: Duplicate Disks (2 disk minimum)

RAID 5: Better reduncancy, lose a drive and still keep going. Slower writes faster reads. (3 disk
minimum)

RAID 10: More bullet proof version of RAID 5 (4 disk minimum)

Britt