Another problem with a lot of wooden easels is that the screws that hold the legs, back, and whatever in place are too small or thin, or the thumbnuts aren't large enough to tighten easily.  These should be large and have adequate surfaces to "grab" the leg or whatever to hold it firmly.  I have a very light and portable wooden easel I bought for watercolor that has actually fallen down on more than one occasion, for the simple reason that the clamping screws don't have an adequate surface area to secure the adjustment.  I currently use it inside to hold photos or sketches to work from on a more secure easel.