tel: (604) 469-1321
fax: (604) 469-1327
www.swansoncreative.ca

On 2013-06-04, at 11:43 AM, Anne Runyon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Cool gadget, yes, but ...  More robots ... More zombies ... Where is the heart and soul of “life drawing” art going?

When I taught drawing/design as a grad student at U of Minnesota back in the last century (1976, I think it was)
my students did an exercise in tracing, they drew what was observed out the window on the window, or on a piece of tracing paper held against the window, and it helped with understanding contour drawing ...

But this neo camera lucida just adds another tempting electronic gadget to “speed things up”.
To learn to draw requires slowing down and practicing your hand-eye co-ordination.

Well, the end justifies the means in commercial art and such ... damn the torpedoes (from old folks like me) and full speed ahead.

.... but if you ever feel the yen to draw directly from life with your own bare hands ... slow down, study those ancient cave paintings ... and have fun.

Annie
www.annerunyon.com
www.gnsi.org/profile/anne-marshall-runyon