I used to use an external hard drive, mainly as backup until it died.  It was a 2 TB.  Now I use Carbonite.  I have restored files from it and you can access your files from any computer with internet access.  I liked the idea of the backup being automatic--I don't have to remember to do it and that it is offsite.  It isn't going to help me to use it as a backup if my house burns down.