I know it's not quite the same, but I use Dropbox as a storage site for everything.  When I'm done with a project, I tell my computer to delete the file but keep it on Dropbox.  If I need it again, I download whatever part i'm looking for or simply re-instate the folder on my machine.  As a result, when my machine died last summer all I had to do was switch machines and sync the dropbox, and I was back in business.  No worries of external hard drive failure or loss.

It can be a little expensive, but I've got a deal with them for 1k/year of unlimited storage so we've got like 5TB of files up there floating around in the cloud. That plus no worries about data loss.

Cameron