Thanks Brit,                       Yeah maybe! It was 5.30
am on a cold morning. That's nice and clear. Cheers,Geoff

----- Original Message -----
From: "SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-"
Sent:Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:37:38 -0400
Subject:Re: [SCIART] external hard drives

 Geoff,

 I think you may still have been asleep when typing this. Here is a
good explanation of RAID types:
 http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

 RAID 0: Live Fast and Dangerous.

 RAID 1: Duplicate Disks (2 disk minimum)

 RAID 5: Better reduncancy, lose a drive and still keep going. Slower
writes faster reads. (3 disk
 minimum)

 RAID 10: More bullet proof version of RAID 5 (4 disk minimum)

 Britt

 On 6/19/13 4:30 PM, Geoff Thompson wrote:
 > Hi All,
 >
 > I just woke up and wanted to add a little. These cheaper drives
sound like what Linda needs for her
 > client but cheap single ones are not the best for archival storage.
 >
 > For one they will not be server-grade quality and for another they
are not Raid protected.

 > It’s taken me a while to understand how Raid works and I don’t
fully understand it. The simplest is
 > Raid Zero where two hard drives work in sync. That way if one fails
you pull it out and replace it
 > and away you go. The trouble is if it starts to corrupt data before
it fully fails the corruption
 > will be copied onto the good drive
 >
 > Raid 1 apparently is safer with two discs but slower. As the
numbers go up to Raid 10 the safer the
 > system gets. So the 4-bay or 5-bay Raid set ups are much safer but
of course more expensive.

 > However when you get 16 TB of server grade storage for $1,550 RRP
with 4 disc Raid, USB 3 &
 > Firewire, it suddenly looks like a better deal for long-term
storage.

 > http://www.lacie.com/products/
 >
 > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=210
 >
 > The LaCie seem to be better value for the price when you get into
Raid protection options.

 > Hope that helps,
 >
 > Geoff

 Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
instructions at

Email sent using Optus Webmail