You might look through James Gurney’s blogs( Gurney Journey ) for comments on outdoor easels. He uses what Jennifer recommends below, or something like it.
Annie

www.annerunyon.com
www.gnsi.org/profile/anne-marshall-runyon

From: Jennifer Landin
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Easel information

Every French easel I've ever seen (or used) has been so ridiculously heavy that it ends up collecting dust and cobwebs. The coolest think I've seen has been an adapted camera tripod (very light) with attachments. All are carried in a backpack so transport is easy.
The artist who used this got pieces from Judson's Art Outfitters and built something to fit her needs. But Judson's also offer Pochade boxes. I think some come with carrying cases (like a laptop case).
Jennifer