Yes, this is something Marlene has demo'ed at a couple of conferences at least; it was developed by a Chicago artist, John Dioszegi (no longer living). It involves a tripod, a piece of gator board and a universal joint. You can paint and edge the gator board in order to keep it from getting damaged. I concur that it works great!

I have never tried to use a french easel or even seen one set up. (I do have to concur that the only one I have ever seen is not a light object).

-Clara

Clara Richardson