Hi everyone,

I apologize for the confusion with booking your rooms. I have been in touch
with ESA to try to clarify some of the issues.

Answer concerning booking a hotel for ECN and then staying for ESA as well:

Yes, right now the system can only handle it as 2 separate transactions,
otherwise I would have had to add additional rooms to your block during the
week and I didnít want to put you on the hook for filling those too. I can
ask the reservations manager to add some rooms to your block during the
week but let me know how many you think weíll need.

Answer concerning the number and which hotels:

Yes, the Friday and Saturday rooms are at 3 hotels. In reality, they are
the only 3 hotels with a sizable block over the weekend. The other hotels
had less than 10 rooms each on Friday or less overall Ė so we tried to
group them in a few main areas. The three are the Hilton (23), Hyatt Place
(17) and Radisson (10).

Answer concerning where our meeting space will be:

I have proposed and held space at the convention center, however it isnít
confirmed until the summer planning meeting in July when the committee
makes the final assignment. All of the rooms are on the same floor and
fairly close to one another.

The way it has been set up is that if you do not do two separate
transactions for your rooms (if staying for ESA), then the 50 rooms set
aside for us will not be filled. If the rooms are not filled we still have
to pay for them, so if you are willing to do two separate transactions then
we would appreciate it. If not, you can please email me which hotel you
would like to stay at and the dates you would like to stay. I can then
email ESA and arrange for the room to be deducted from the 50 set aside for
us.

Please keep the questions coming and I will do my best to answer them and
sort everything out.

Thanks for your patience everyone. I'm on vacation at the moment but am
trying to sort this out to ensure everyone will be looked after.

Thanks,
Pam
I had already completed the registration process before Pam emailed the
code.  As a test, I tried again WITH the code because a colleague here was
having trouble using it and something definitely seems to be wrong with the
code (or more likely the registration website's connection between the code
and the reserved block of rooms).

My first attempt to register rooms for the ECN and ESA meetings went
perfectly smoothly when I didn't try to use the code.  I just logged in as
an Attendee arriving on Friday and leaving on Thursday.  No problems at all.

Floyd

F.W. Shockley, Ph.D.
Department of Entomology
Smithsonian Institution