Hi everyone,

I apologize for the confusion with booking your rooms. I have been in touch with ESA to try to clarify some of the issues.

Answer concerning booking a hotel for ECN and then staying for ESA as well:

Yes, right now the system can only handle it as 2 separate transactions, otherwise I would have had to add additional rooms to your block during the week and I didnít want to put you on the hook for filling those too. I can ask the reservations manager to add some rooms to your block during the week but let me know how many you think weíll need.

Answer concerning the number and which hotels:

Yes, the Friday and Saturday rooms are at 3 hotels. In reality, they are the only 3 hotels with a sizable block over the weekend. The other hotels had less than 10 rooms each on Friday or less overall Ė so we tried to group them in a few main areas. The three are the Hilton (23), Hyatt Place (17) and Radisson (10).

Answer concerning where our meeting space will be:

I have proposed and held space at the convention center, however it isnít confirmed until the summer planning meeting in July when the committee makes the final assignment. All of the rooms are on the same floor and fairly close to one another.

The way it has been set up is that if you do not do two separate transactions for your rooms (if staying for ESA), then the 50 rooms set aside for us will not be filled. If the rooms are not filled we still have to pay for them, so if you are willing to do two separate transactions then we would appreciate it. If not, you can please email me which hotel you would like to stay at and the dates you would like to stay. I can then email ESA and arrange for the room to be deducted from the 50 set aside for us.

Please keep the questions coming and I will do my best to answer them and sort everything out.

Thanks for your patience everyone. I'm on vacation at the moment but am trying to sort this out to ensure everyone will be looked after.

Thanks,
Pam

I had already completed the registration process before Pam emailed the code. †As a test, I tried again WITH the code because a colleague here was having trouble using it and something definitely seems to be wrong with the code (or more likely the registration website's connection between the code and the reserved block of rooms).

My first attempt to register rooms for the ECN and ESA meetings went perfectly smoothly when I didn't try to use the code. †I just logged in as an Attendee arriving on Friday and leaving on Thursday. †No problems at all.

Floyd

F.W. Shockley, Ph.D.
Department of Entomology
Smithsonian Institution