Those pits look like they once held scales, so I'd guess weevil ... or something else densely squamose in life ...

Stephen

________________________________
From: Frank T. Krell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, 22 June 2013 10:40 AM
Subject: Pleistocene scarab fragments?

Hi all,

I am a little bit lost, so it’s time to ask the list, I guess.
I am working on scarab fragments of a Pleistocene site of Colorado. Most of them are Aphodius heads (or Aphodius s.l. heads, for the splitters). I also got a few elytral fragments with a pretty distinct sculpture, consisting of broad deep, largely punctured stripes and not much broader, elevated, equally largely punctured intervals (see attached photo).
I thought I have seen such elytra before, but cannot remember. I got them as possible scarabs, but I am struggling to find a North American scarab with such elytra. Could it be something else? I cc to Mike Ivie because he knows all those little families that nobody else knows (or are you on the Scarbs-L list, Mike?).
Any ideas? Thanks!

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.