You should ask Charlie O'Brien whether he thinks it could be weevils.
"Charles W. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>;

Margarethe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank T. Krell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:40:09 PM
Subject: Pleistocene scarab fragments?

Hi all,

I am a little bit lost, so it’s time to ask the list, I guess.

I am working on scarab fragments of a Pleistocene site of Colorado. Most of them are Aphodius heads (or Aphodius s.l. heads, for the splitters). I also got a few elytral fragments with a pretty distinct sculpture, consisting of broad deep, largely punctured stripes and not much broader, elevated, equally largely punctured intervals (see attached photo).

I thought I have seen such elytra before, but cannot remember. I got them as possible scarabs, but I am struggling to find a North American scarab with such elytra. Could it be something else? I cc to Mike Ivie because he knows all those little families that nobody else knows (or are you on the Scarbs-L list, Mike?).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell

Curator of Entomology

Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492

lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.