Actually, I shouldn't have said "Scarabaeoidea"--as the striae/puncture pattern does look a fair bit like those of some Platycerus, e.g. marginalis or cribripennis.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Frank T. Krell
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:40 PM
  Subject: Pleistocene scarab fragments?

  Hi all,

  I am a little bit lost, so it's time to ask the list, I guess.

  I am working on scarab fragments of a Pleistocene site of Colorado. Most of them are Aphodius heads (or Aphodius s.l. heads, for the splitters). I also got a few elytral fragments with a pretty distinct sculpture, consisting of broad deep, largely punctured stripes and not much broader, elevated, equally largely punctured intervals (see attached photo).

  I thought I have seen such elytra before, but cannot remember. I got them as possible scarabs, but I am struggling to find a North American scarab with such elytra. Could it be something else? I cc to Mike Ivie because he knows all those little families that nobody else knows (or are you on the Scarbs-L list, Mike?).

  Any ideas? Thanks!

  Frank

  Dr. Frank-T. Krell

  Curator of Entomology

  Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
  Department of Zoology
  Denver Museum of Nature & Science
  2001 Colorado Boulevard
  Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
  Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
  Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492

  lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

  The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.