http://www.museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/workers/PSchoolmeesters.htm

From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank T. Krell
Sent: samedi 22 juin 2013 00:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pleistocene scarab fragments?

Hi all,

I am a little bit lost, so it's time to ask the list, I guess.

I am working on scarab fragments of a Pleistocene site of Colorado. Most of
them are Aphodius heads (or Aphodius s.l. heads, for the splitters). I also
got a few elytral fragments with a pretty distinct sculpture, consisting of
broad deep, largely punctured stripes and not much broader, elevated,
equally largely punctured intervals (see attached photo).

I thought I have seen such elytra before, but cannot remember. I got them as
possible scarabs, but I am struggling to find a North American scarab with
such elytra. Could it be something else? I cc to Mike Ivie because he knows
all those little families that nobody else knows (or are you on the Scarbs-L
list, Mike?).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell

Curator of Entomology

Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492

lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of
critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as
responsible stewards of the future.