I'm not sure that (m)any Staphyliniformia have such deep and complex sculpture on the elytra? If I'm right about squamosity, then it pretty much rules out Staphyliniformia also ...

________________________________
From: Max Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 23 June 2013 12:50 AM
Subject: Re: Pleistocene scarab fragments?

Look at the apex of the elytra.. that looks like an elytron that doesn't cover the whole abdomen, i.e. leaves some segments visible from above. I have no idea how big they are of course, but I would have started with Staphyliniformia- some histeroid or omaliine or something.. that doesn't say scarab or weevil to me..

Maxwell V. L. Barclay
Curator and Collection Manager
Entomology: Coleoptera & Hemiptera
Department of Life Sciences