A "Percussive cut" is a direct strike with the edge of the blade. Heavy
Rapier, by contrast, only allows thrusts and draw cuts (a cut done by
drawing the blade across the target when it is already in contact). That's
really the main difference. The armor standards are a little higher because
of the percussive strikes being allowed, and fighters also have to
demonstrate the ability to control the force of percussive cuts so that
they land with similar force to thrusts.

-Iamys