I just saw a thing about pickled/salted fruits from the Mid-East not to
long ago on the LWN channel.
Soak fresh citrus fruit (Oranges, Limes, Lemons, Grapefruit, etc.) in
fresh, or distilled water, over night.
Cut the fruit into cross sectioned halves, then cut each half, most of the
way through, into quarters so that the halves can be laid out into 4 petal
stars.
Pack a layer of fruit halves into the bottom of a 1 gallon, or 1/2 gallon,
jar. They used clay ones in the beginning of the show, but used glass ones
later on, so either should work just fine.
Cover the fruit and any empty spaces with pickling/canning salt.
Repeat until the jar is mostly full (No more than 1 inch below the neck of
the jar), the closer to the neck the better.
Make sure the contents are tightly packed.
Cover the contents with at least 1/4 inch of olive oil. They did not
completely fill the jars with olive oil.
Store in a cool, dry place for a minimum of 6 weeks before consuming/using
the contents. This renders the fruit pulp/meat, producing the pickle juice.
The rinds will settle to the bottom of the jar, and can be used for
snacking, or for cooking later on. The pulp & juice mix is used for
drinking, or flavoring.
Be sure to draw off the oil before consuming the juice or rinds.

According  to the show's hosts, this method was capable of storing the
fruit for up to 10 years without spoilage.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Nest ffynnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> Again, I'm looking for pickle juice that has electrolites.
> Probably for veggies, though not necessarily only cucumbers.
>
> My favorite appetizer EVER was pickled watermelon rind wrapped in bacon.
>
> I'll peruse the files and see what I can find.
>
> Nest
>

> On Jul 20, 2013, at 11:22 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> Well, are you thinking of pickled meats? pickled vegetables or just
> pickled cucumbers?
>
> Today, when people think of "pickles", the latter is the only thing they
> think of. But the subject is really much bigger than that. And yes, when I
> joined the SCA, when I thought of "pickles", I thought of only the sliced
> ones put on hamburgers. :-)
>
> Yes, there are medieval (or at least period) recipes for pickled
> cucumbers, but also for many other things.
>
> Speaking of Pennsic, pickling items is one way to keep them safe through
> the heat of Pennsic.
>
> Check these files in the Florilegium.
> pickled-eggs-msg (16K) 5/21/13 Period pickled eggs. Recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD/pickled-eggs-msg.**html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pickled-eggs-msg.html>
>
> pickled-foods-msg (149K) 5/21/13 Medieval pickled food. recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD/pickled-foods-msg.**html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pickled-foods-msg.html>
>
> compost-msg (88K) 12/ 1/09 A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD/compost-msg.html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html>
>
> pickled-fish-msg (40K) 7/28/11 Pickled fish. Either by storing in vinegar
> or by the action of lactic acid.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-fish-**msg.html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-fish-msg.html>
>
> pickled-meats-msg (60K) 3/20/08 Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-**meats-msg.html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-meats-msg.html>
>
> sauerkraut-msg (46K) 6/27/13 Period sauerkraut and pickled cabbage.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/**sauerkraut-msg.html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/sauerkraut-msg.html>
>
> And a few more files having to do with pickling, for those homebound
> during Pennsic. :-)
> Vinegar-art (20K) 5/26/01 "What's so special about Vinegar?" by Mistress
> Christianna MacGrain.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD/Vinegar-art.html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-art.html>
>
> Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01 "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
> Coffeepots" by THL Mirin ben DhIarmait.
> http://www.florilegium.org/**files/FOOD/Vinegar-NJFCC-art.**html<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-NJFCC-art.html>
>
> vinegar-msg (128K) 3/24/12 Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
> [...]

ISD,
Ld Russell O'The Bushes                                  Russ Myrick
Barony of the Lonely Tower                                Bushman Leathers
& Crafts
Kingdom of Calontir                                            3404 Briar
Oak St
[log in to unmask]                              Bellevue, NE 68123
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BushmanLeathers        1-402-812-7093
https://plus.google.com/b/115884199687549415224/115884199687549415224/about/p/pub