For those interested in pickles and other food preserving, I recommend
getting a good modern book and reading it first.  The one our family
uses is:
  Stocking Up III
The All New Edition of America's Classic Preserving Guide
by Carol Hupping and the staff of the Rodale Food Center    copy rite 1986
ISBN   0-87857-613-4

These books are updated from time to time with the intent to make food
processing safer and the food better tasting and retain more of the
nutrients.
The book I have often takes the time to tell the why of why one process
should or should not be used.  Get the latest version you can.  As
mentioned in  earlier post  botulism cells can't grow in environments
with pH lower than 4.6.  Anything without these acid levels must be
pressure canned.  Pressure canning allows for temperatures to be higher
that 212 deg F. so that botulism spores can be killed.  Also these books
have charts so that different foods are processed for different amounts
of time and pressures depending on food density and can size so that
essentially a piece of food in the center of the can gets hot enough at
its center to be safe.  I have seen instances where home caned tomatoes
(an acid fruit that doesn't necessarily need to be pressure canned )
that have been water-bath canned have gone bad.  This spoilage is
usually obvious.  One just throws it away.  What is important is that
food spoiled by botulism doesn't fizz or stink or taste bad and the
toxins produced by it can kill you.  SO:  Get a good book with sound
recipes and stick to it.  You can change up the spices, but don't muck
with the proportions of vinegar and lemon juice as these are the sources
of acid. Also don't take a _water bath_ canned tomato recipe and add a
bunch of something like zucchini to it.  Tomatoes are an acid fruit and
zucchini is not so half zucchini would cut the acid in half. You could
however _pressure can_ as if it were straight zucchini to error on the
safe side. Lemon juice or citric acid is often added to tomatoes in more
modern books as some of the more modern tomato varieties are being bread
for lower acid and are unsafe to water bath can without a little extra acid.

Now say your a brewer and accidentally made vinegar.  That's ok for
flavoring fresh food but don't use it for canning because it's acid
content may not be sufficient to work properly in preserving. Use store
bought vinegar that is regulated to a specific strength.  Medieval
recipes: cross reference with similar modern ones.  Make sure that the
quantities of things that keep things safe are maintained . A pH meter
might even be a good idea. If you ain't willing and haven't tested it on
yourself first, don't test it on your friends!

For the brine cured (fermented) pickles the Euell Gibbons Dill crock
given in the book  uses 3/4 measure salt and 10 measures water and 1/4
cup  cider vinegar to a gallon.
Note the salt should be canning salt which does not contain iodide and
is a specific grain size.  Sea salt may not contain iodide but is
usually larger crystals and has a mixture of various salt types which
may through a recipe off.  Use of tested recipes is important till you
have a good understanding of what your doing and know how the process
should go, taste and so forth.

It is my understanding that the salt prevents the growth of many
organisms while providing a good environment for lactic acid producing
bacteria to grow.  This in turn produces an acid environment that is
unfavorable to botulism.  I don't know what effect the salt has if any,
specifically on botulism.

So how about wine and beer.

Beer ? can some of you all  grainers refresh my memory on what wart
wart  and mash pH is?
Mead (honey water mixes) can get has high as 4.2 or 4.3 but is usually
lower and wine is usually 3.5 or lower. so no botulism there since pH is
well below 4.6