I know of nocino only from a few discussions (probably on the Calontir
brewers list).  Both everclear and vodka are considered neutral
spirits.  I believe everclear is usually made from grain while vodka a
variety of fermentables from grain to potatoes.
Biringuccio's_Pirotechnica_ (1545) and many other sources include
methods and equipment of producing aqua vita the medieval version of
these neutral spirits.  Of course you would buy these not produce them
yourself as that is not legal without a license.  Barrel aged versions
like scotch, brandy and bourbon would all have different flavors and
would not be want unless you found a specific medieval recipe saying
specificly so.  Also be aweare that American black walnuts and English
walnuts are two different things.  It would do you good to find out what
species the modern version is made from.  I doubt that tradition has
ever "switched" species although its possible.  If you find a period
recipe for nocino please send it my way as I would be very interested.
Also check out Digby, and Hugh Plat's _delights for ladies _.  There
might have been something in there. I don't have them available right now.

Master Gerald Goodwine