The layer of oil on the top would prevent oxygen from entering, which
would prevent spoiling.   What is the ratio of salt to fruit?

Nest

On Jul 21, 2013, at 1:03 AM, Russ Myrick wrote:

I just saw a thing about pickled/salted fruits from the Mid-East not
to long ago on the LWN channel.
Soak fresh citrus fruit (Oranges, Limes, Lemons, Grapefruit, etc.) in
fresh, or distilled water, over night.
Cut the fruit into cross sectioned halves, then cut each half, most
of the way through, into quarters so that the halves can be laid out
into 4 petal stars.
Pack a layer of fruit halves into the bottom of a 1 gallon, or 1/2
gallon, jar. They used clay ones in the beginning of the show, but
used glass ones later on, so either should work just fine.
Cover the fruit and any empty spaces with pickling/canning salt.
Repeat until the jar is mostly full (No more than 1 inch below the
neck of the jar), the closer to the neck the better.
Make sure the contents are tightly packed.
Cover the contents with at least 1/4 inch of olive oil. They did not
completely fill the jars with olive oil.
Store in a cool, dry place for a minimum of 6 weeks before consuming/
using the contents. This renders the fruit pulp/meat, producing the
pickle juice. The rinds will settle to the bottom of the jar, and can
be used for snacking, or for cooking later on. The pulp & juice mix
is used for drinking, or flavoring.
Be sure to draw off the oil before consuming the juice or rinds.

According  to the show's hosts, this method was capable of storing
the fruit for up to 10 years without spoilage.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Nest ffynnon <[log in to unmask]>