On 7/21/2013 2:05 PM, Marguerite D.A. Reed wrote:
> I'd rather have safe pickles than Perfectly Period Pickles.

One can have both.

BUT: I'd recommend to people that, before they start experimenting
with food preservation, that they master the modern versions
first.

A good knowledge base to draw from is a very good thing.

Here in good old Massachusetts, where we regulate food production
to a fare-thee-well, pickles are considered a slightly more
hazardous food to produce than many others, and the standards
are fairly high.

For our jams, we have purchased a good quality pH meter (which
a local organic hydroponic store had in stock at well below
Amazon.com and Internet prices) which we use consistently for
home and professional use in preserving foods.

	Tibor