Ok, time for some clarification.

Electrolytes are merely chemicals which can carry electricity. In your high school chemistry class, you called them "ions".
Salt water is used because it breaks the salt into its ionic components upon dissolving the salt.

When you pickle things, vinegar is also used because it is an acid. This acid helps break down the vegetable down slightly, which lets the salt water penetrate slightly.

The pickling process uses an osmosis process that attempts to balance the salt level between the liquid inside the veggie with the salt level outside the veggie. The veggie shrinks to create this concentration inside the veggie by expelling water.

But While expelling water, it also carries away the parts of the veggie that the acid broke down. These parts are nutrients of various types, most of which are also weak electrolytes.

The big thing to understand is that the purpose of the salt and vinegar is to create an environment that is too toxic for bacteria to live. In large amounts ( compared to bacteria size), it's toxic. That same amount can be beneficial to us because of our larger size. But either way, it's just fancy saltwater that tastes good.

You can get the same effect on the body by drinking the juice from a commercial can of green beans.

Franz