Fermentation is supposed to occur in an anaerobic environment.  When you use
a method that might allow oxygen into the mix,  other bacteria can occur
that are really unhealthy.     In the past they  used oil or sometimes made
a paste of flour and water and sealed the tops of the ferments that way,
too.  If you look in  lot of the old still room books there are instructions
on how to do it.

I know that this isn't a period practice and it might be frowned upon but
they make fermentation jars for such things now that use jars that seal
tightly and brewers airlocks.  While I am all about learning how they did
things in period,  a lot of people died  from exposure to foodborn bacteria
in the Middle Ages.    Maybe in this case, using the  more modern method to
make your period ingredient, would be prudent.    You could use all the same
ingredients and just put them in one of these jars.

I made jars that resemble the Pickl-it jars they sell online by getting
ahold of some of the fido canning jars and drilling 1/2 inch holes in the
lids and  putting a rubber grommet in the hole to insert the airlock into.

I have pickled key limes and lemons and they are amazing.  I am sure they
would last for a very long time, if we didn't like them so much.     I just
like to be safe.

YIS

Ségnat