There are a lot of assumptions about copyrights, mostly erroneous

the  best approach is through knowledge..

Copyrights are governed by the Berne Convention, , the US being one
of 170 participating countries....    as of now, I am pretty sure
China has not joined  (surprise!!)

research the Berne Convention and factual sites that explain its
provisions for more information:

heres one

http://www.arsny.com/basics.html

some  basics:

you own copyrights of your work as intellectual property from the
moment it is created

copyrights, like any other legal rights can only be transferred by a
legal document.

you do not need to place the copyright symbol on your work in order
to possess or protect your copyrights.

despite the expense and involved process of registering your images
with the Copyright office, it offers the best protection,

  if for some god awful reason you need to pursue a case in court
concerning the theft of an unregistered work, and it is  found in
your favor will allow you to stop further use by the thief, but not much else.

If the same thing occurs with a registered image, you can recoup your
lawyer's cost and punitive damages of up to $10,000 for each offense.

there are a lot aspects to copyright laws, but its all  pretty much
spelled out..

A commissioned Illustration does not eliminate your rights, unless
spelled out and agreed to in writing by both parties

The only aversion of inherent rights to your intellectual property is
in a "work for hire" case.   If you Illustrate  for an employee that
has hired you and pays you wages and benefits, your copyrights may be
, at least in part, forfeit. This does not include commissioned or
freelance work.

You should familiarized yourself with what rights you might or might
not have when you are hired on by an employer.

Stephen