Natalya, I have interspersed a few short answers within your text below.
Is your contract with the design firm or with the botanical garden?
In my experience, it can be a bit trickier when you are signing a contract
with and being paid by the exhibit design firm rather than their client in
the sense that the exhibit design firm doesn't really have the power to
enforce certain things in the contract, such as proper illustrator
citations or such as the client selling merchandise with your illustrations
on it.

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Waterloo, Ontario
www.emilydamstra.com
emilydamstra.wordpress.com

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Natalya Zahn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've never worked with a large institution like this before, or on
> exhibits. Is there a standard protocol for exclusivity in this case, since
> the work will be a semi-permanent fixture on their grounds?

I don't think there is a standard protocol. Every case is unique.

> Is it wrong for me to want to be able to re-sell the artwork after a given
> period?

No, that's perfectly normal. I would call it "license" rather than
"re-sell."

> Is their request to have veto power as ridiculous as it sounds to me?

Yes, absolutely, unless they are willing to pay extra.  If they want total
control perhaps they should reconsider paying the extra to own all rights.