Natalya,
I tend to consider everything - research, time talking to client, overhead,
*etc.* - in the fee I quote per illustration. Except for travel.
I would be curious to know if others bill extra for phone calls.

You are wise to plan to do your own research; materials supplied by clients
are rarely sufficient, in my experience. On the other hand, your client
might have access to material you do not, so it might be important to have
your client supply reference material.
---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration