I'm with Britt. Definitely make it official.

I typically take the same approach as the more nefarious companies do, when
they say "this isn't work for hire" and then say that you grant them all of
the rights that would be granted under a work for hire relationship. What I
mean is, when companies insist on work for hire, I say it's fine, but in
turn they grant me a perpetual, fully-paid license to reuse and re-sell the
work or its parts in any way I see fit. The way I figure it, the door
swings both ways. Generally, they only want work for hire because it's a
simple way to not worry about rights or royalties down the line.  Knowing
that this is what is important to them, I always make sure their concerns
are put to rest, and that I'm covered as well. Additionally, NO rights of
any kind are delivered until they pay in full.

Cameron Slayden, M.S.
CEO,  Creative Director
Medical and Scientific Animation
Cosmocyte, Inc.