Hi all, I missed the original discussion, but thought I would weigh in
just in case:

I love strathmore 500 series drawing paper 1 ply, and trace over my
composition with a light table that I have built in to my drafting table.

I scan at 1200 dpi as a BitMap file, thus avoiding having to worry about
grey background.

For web postings, I reduce dpi (or ppi if you want to be fussy about
terminology) and save as JPG.

To submit to journals, I provide a 1200 dpi TIF file, but reduce the
size of the image to fit the width of the journal publishing the
illustration.

lav
link to detail of inked drawing at:
http://vorobikbotanicalart.com/Psyc%20INK%20Det.html

--
Linda Ann Vorobik, PhD Botanist, Botanical Artist
www.VorobikBotanicalArt.com, blogging at: http://vorobikbotanicalart.blogspot.com/