FYI: It is very difficult making a living as an illustrator or
photographer. Not just because of low compensation, but because the
internet is flooded with images, and often artists/photographers are
asked to donate their art.

On 7/6/2013 5:22 PM, Bruce Bartrug wrote:
> I'm rather surprised at the quoted rates.  I'm not being a crank, but
> I was paid $175 for a photo of a mimosa flower to be used in a biology
> text.....25 years ago.  If the prices haven't changed in that time
> period, I'm wondering how anyone makes a living at this anymore.
> That's a serious question, and I repeat:  I'm not being a crank.

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Britt Griswold
>
>     As a rough estimate, I looked up the use of an illustration,
>     interior textbook, for use in Hong Kong on the Getty Image site.
>     Interestingly Korea was not even on the list of Country choices...
>
>     First edition use was $290, subsequent Edition use was $180.
>
>     Corbis gave a flat $175 for textbook inside, 1/2 page image. They
>     did have South Korea on their pick list.
>
>     As you can see they are not asking for large amounts.  I think you
>     may want to ask at that level at least. Send them a contract
>     (digitally) and have them sign it and return it digitally, and
>     have them put the money in your Paypal account before you send
>     them the permission.
>
>     Britt Griswold
>     Science-Art.com manager
>

>     Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
>     instructions at
>     http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>

> --
> Bruce Bartrug
> Nobleboro, Maine, USA
> www.brucebartrug.com <http://www.brucebartrug.com>
>
> The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
> because of those who look on and do nothing.  - Albert Einstein

> instructions at

Linda Ann Vorobik, PhD Botanist, Botanical Artist
www.VorobikBotanicalArt.com, blogging at: http://vorobikbotanicalart.blogspot.com/
PO Box 866, Lopez Island, WA 98261; 360-468-3188; cell 510-520-2423