I am of the same opinion. I am very discouraged that there are so many
"opportunities" offered to artists....I think it follows the line of
"internships", but in my mind are just ways to get a whole lot for very
little.

Looking forward to better times. lav

On 7/2/2013 8:45 AM, Emily S. Damstra wrote:
> I looked over the specs for this Pollinator Poster job and am
> convinced it is not a fair deal for the illustrator. A complex
> poster-size illustration, with the client getting all rights, for only
> $1,000? Plus, the illustrator has to spend the time coming up with a
> sketch with no guarantee of any compensation at all? I see that their
> website doesn't even credit the 2012 illustrator for his work (though
> it does credit the 2013 artist): http://pollinator.org/posters.htm
> (Steve Buchanan, if you're on this List, congratulations for your
> lovely illustration on the 2012 poster. I found your name on the
> poster by downloading information about it and zooming in).
>
> I am sympathetic to the budgetary woes of not-for-profit organizations
> and I'm sure the Pollinator Partnership does good work. Nonetheless,
> in my opinion they are not offering fair compensation to the
> illustrator in this situation. Sometimes, there are ways organizations
> can help make it more worth the illustrator's time when there is a low
> budget, such as not expecting the illustrator to give up all rights to
> the work. I'm not sure that would do the trick in this case, but it
> would help.
>
> Alice, thanks for posting this announcement to the Listserv - I know
> we all appreciate hearing about potential work, whether or not we
> choose to pursue it.
>
> ---
> *Emily S. Damstra*
> natural science illustration
> Waterloo, Ontario
> (519) 616-3654
> *[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>*
> www.emilydamstra.com <http://www.emilydamstra.com>
> emilydamstra.wordpress.com <http://emilydamstra.wordpress.com>
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Tangerini, Alice <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     See the announcement below for a search for an artist to produce a
>     Pollinator Poster for The Pollinator Partnership.
>
>     *2014 “Native Orchids and Their Pollinators” Poster*
>
>     *Job Advertisement*
>
>     *The Pollinator Partnership is seeking an artist to render the
>     2014 “Native Orchids and Their Pollinators” poster.  A 1-page
>     narrative concept idea with a draft sketch sent to Jennifer Tsang
>     at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> is due by Friday,
>     August 30, 2013. Final illustration is due by February 3, 2014.*
>
>     *Background*
>
>     The Pollinator Partnership (P2) is a non-profit 501(c)3
>     organization-- the largest organization in the world dedicated to
>     the protection and promotion of pollinators and their ecosystems.
>     Birds, bats, bees, butterflies, beetles, and other small mammals
>     that pollinate plants are responsible for bringing us one out of
>     every three bites of food. They also sustain our ecosystems and
>     produce our natural resources by helping plants reproduce.
>     Unfortunately they are in trouble. Some species have seen a 90%
> [...]

Linda Ann Vorobik, PhD Botanist, Botanical Artist
www.VorobikBotanicalArt.com, blogging at: http://vorobikbotanicalart.blogspot.com/
PO Box 866, Lopez Island, WA 98261; 360-468-3188; cell 510-520-2423