-----Original Message-----
From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn Killackey
Sent: Saturday, 27 July 2013 5:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Processing pen and ink stippled illustrations in
photoshop?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could share their method for cleaning up
stippled illustrations in photoshop? I create a lot of pen and ink
stippled illustrations of archaeological artifacts. I have always been
dissatisfied with how they turn out digitally. They seem somehow
diminished once I'm done scanning and processing them.

My usual method: I ink with Koh-i-noor Rapidograph pens and ink on
Permatrace (a British brand of Duralene). I then scan at 600 ppi. The
scan always turns out a bit grey so I then take it in to Photoshop to
get it back to black and white. In Photoshop I mess around with a curves
adjustment layer and go in and clean up stubborn grey areas with a
brush. This method sometimes works better then others. I find that
sometimes I have to push the curves so far to get to straight black and
white that the stipple dots are reduced.

I've just found this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ADk5zdYiok

which selects and fills the background with white before using curves.
It's definitely an improvement but I still get grey in areas of dense
stipple and cleaning that up by hand is time consuming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
instructions at

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Please note: the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable. All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Departmental Policies. Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless authorised or required by Departmental Policy and/or law.