-----Original Message-----
From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura K. Jordan
Sent: Tuesday, 16 July 2013 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] contract work questions

Hi Emily,

That actually is very helpful.  Thank you!  Yes, I was referring
primarily to registering for copyright.  How do you typically decide
when or if you are going to register your artwork through the US
Copyright office?  And am I correct in that you must file each image
separately?

Thank you,

Laura

Quoting "Emily S. Damstra" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Laura,
> I'm a bit confused by your questions, so I'm not sure if this will
help:

> The only "official licensing process" is the contract you create and
> sign together with your client.
> One resource for licensing language is the GAG Handbook (Graphic
> Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines).
>
> There is nowhere you need to file your contract - just make sure you
> keep a copy.
>
> If, by "file a license" you actually meant "register for copyright"
> then you can find out detailed info. about that at the US Copyright
> Office
> website: http://www.copyright.gov/
>
> If your client will be owning the copyright to your illustrations,
> then it is they who will register for the copyright (if they choose to

> - it's not required).
> If you license to your client use of your illustrations for their
> project, and you retain all other rights, then it is you who would
> register the copyrights (if you choose to).
>
> ---
> *Emily S. Damstra*
> natural science illustration
> Waterloo, Ontario
> (519) 616-3654
> www.emilydamstra.com
> emilydamstra.wordpress.com
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Laura K. Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> I am still at a bit of a loss when it comes to figuring out the
>> licensing etc.  Do they then file a license for each figure, or do I,
or do we both?
>>  I have never been through that process before.  Do you know of a
>> good resource for understanding the official licensing process (in
>> terms of who, when, and how)?

> instructions at

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
instructions at

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Please note: the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable. All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Departmental Policies. Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless authorised or required by Departmental Policy and/or law.