Hi Cameron:
This is the explanation I got from Dropbox Help Desk.

Hi there Linda,

Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support! I would be happy to clarify this for you.

In order to keep a copy of your Dropbox folder on your Mac and not have that computer actively syncing to Dropbox, you must unlink it first. Unlinking will ensure you have a copy of your Dropbox folder for your records.

Please follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
2) Click on the 'Gear' icon and Select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button.
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!

You can now safely move or delete files on your Mac in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please email me back.

Best,
xxxxxxx

Linda Feltner, Jul 23 03:31 pm (PDT):
I was told that: Dropbox never removes files from your computer unless you tell it to stop syncing, at which point they will be deleted from your hard drive. (this can be changed in the settings so that you keep a folder even after you stop syncing it).
I cannot find this choice in my Settings. I use a Mac. OS 10.6.8.
THank you very much. L.

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615