Hi Kathryn,                   I found the steps a bit fast
to follow properly in the video but can understand roughly what's
going on. I have not had to do this for a while but to convert to
black and white I tend to scan at least at double that resolution,
preferably 1600 dpi. Smart sharpen and unsharp mask should help before
adjustment. I tend not to use curves, having been told by someone who
know a lot more than I do (and who demonstrated as well) that it's a
fallacy that curves are better in Photoshop, despite what the books
say. I tend to use levels or threshold for full black and white. In
most cases I would only slide adjustments to the start of where the
curve starts showing information is present. However when you have
grey tone from the drafting film you want to lose that information. It
depends on the drawing regarding sliding up the black point too.
Sometimes the ink isn't black enough and I want that to fill in. So I
will slide the lower black point into the curve. It's best to do this
on a copied file or on a copied layer and play till you get the best
possible result. I'm sure curves will work too but I find it easier to
understand what's going on with the histogram. If you go to total
black and white via threshold you lose all the grey anti-aliasing
round the dots. Sometimes it's better to stay with grey scale but if
the scan is fine enough black and white can sometimes give a better
result. Once you're happy you can change the mode to black and white
and end up with a smaller file. PNG or Tiff works best for this
mode.You may have to do a a bit of cleaning up by hand but careful
adjustment can minimise the need to do this.Hope this helps,Geoff