From: Geoff Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Processing pen and ink stippled illustrations in photoshop?

Hi Kathryn,
                   I found the steps a bit fast to follow properly in the video but can understand roughly what's going on.
I have not had to do this for a while but to convert to black and white I tend to scan at least at double that resolution, preferably 1600 dpi. Smart sharpen and unsharp mask should help before adjustment.
I tend not to use curves, having been told by someone who know a lot more than I do (and who demonstrated as well) that it's a fallacy that curves are better in Photoshop, despite what the books say. I tend to use levels or threshold for full black and white. In most cases I would only slide adjustments to the start of where the curve starts showing information is present. However when you have grey tone from the drafting film you want to lose that information. It depends on the drawing regarding sliding up the black point too. Sometimes the ink isn't black enough and I want that to fill in. So I will slide the lower black point into the curve. It's best to do this on a copied file or on a copied layer and play till you get the best possible result. I'm sure curves will work too but I find it easier to understand what's going on with the histogram.
If you go to total black and white via threshold you lose all the grey anti-aliasing round the dots. Sometimes it's better to stay with grey scale but if the scan is fine enough black and white can sometimes give a better result. Once you're happy you can change the mode to black and white and end up with a smaller file. PNG or Tiff works best for this mode.
You may have to do a a bit of cleaning up by hand but careful adjustment can minimise the need to do this.
Hope this helps,
Geoff