For this particular application Levels would be the better adjuster tool, as both Taina and Geoffrey noted.  Levels also has a gamma adjustment (the center button) that controls contrast.  This can also help clean up the gray.  (With applications having a plethora of tone and/or color values, Curves is much better.   And in fact, if you use Curves a lot you can do the same with that tool.  Just slide the end points in or out, which is the same as the black and white sliders on Levels;  for a gamma adjustment, grab the center of the straight line and pull it into a curve one way or the other.)

If your scanner has adjustments, those can help as well.  Set the scan to produce a straight line and move the (very similar) levels adjustments before scanning.

It's a perpetual problem getting a white background to look evenly white in a scanned or photographed image.  I'm sure I'm not alone in having given up in frustration more than once and just used a Magic Wand selection (or Color selection or similar), cleaned up the edges here and there at high magnification, then deleted the selection to white.  It takes time, but does work.

Cheers,