From: "SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-"
Sent:Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:03:57 -0400
Subject:Re: [SCIART] Processing pen and ink stippled illustrations

For this particular application Levels would be the better adjuster
tool, as both Taina and Geoffrey noted.  Levels also has a gamma
adjustment (the center button) that controls contrast.  This can also
help clean up the gray.  (With applications having a plethora of tone
and/or color values, Curves is much better.   And in fact, if you
use Curves a lot you can do the same with that tool.  Just slide the
end points in or out, which is the same as the black and white sliders
on Levels;  for a gamma adjustment, grab the center of the straight
line and pull it into a curve one way or the other.)

If your scanner has adjustments, those can help as well.  Set the
scan to produce a straight line and move the (very similar) levels
adjustments before scanning.

It's a perpetual problem getting a white background to look evenly
white in a scanned or photographed image.  I'm sure I'm not alone in
having given up in frustration more than once and just used a Magic
Wand selection (or Color selection or similar), cleaned up the edges
here and there at high magnification, then deleted the selection to
white.  It takes time, but does work.

Cheers,