Thanks Bruce,
                            I just wanted to add that using greyish drafting film is part of the problem and put in a plug for clay-coated paper.
This does not seem to be used much in the US but it's good stuff. It can only be bought in quantity from a paper merchant. It's used for printing high-quality magazines and has a thin white clay coating. It's transparent enough to trace outlines on a light box and allows one scrape for easy corrections or even scratchboard style drawing. I did this drawing of the Australian giant cockroach (the heaviest cockroach in the world) on it.
http://geoffthompson.net/art/bw/macropanesthia_rhinoceros.html
Mostly I used to use it for simpler drawings like these.
http://geoffthompson.net/art/bw/aptenocanthon_jimara-kabura.html
We used to liken it to a poor person's scratchboard. Because it has to be bought in quantity by the time you want to order more the old brand is usually unavailable and you have to ask for samples to try out. Paper merchants will usually send these if you ring and describe the sort of paper you want to try. Lighter weights trace better on the light box. I do my pencil on tracing paper and tape it to the clay-coated paper with removable tape. Use a number 2 scraping tool or a curved scalpel blade to scrape shallowly for corrections.
We used to get the minimum order cut into A4 or A3 size pieces and that would be a few years'supply for less than $200. The prices may have risen since then though.
Cheers,
Geoff