From: Bruce Bartrug [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:22:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [SCIART] appropriate fee for re-use of an illustration?

I'm rather surprised at the quoted rates.  I'm not being a crank, but I was
paid $175 for a photo of a mimosa flower to be used in a biology
text.....25 years ago.  If the prices haven't changed in that time period,
I'm wondering how anyone makes a living at this anymore.  That's a serious
question, and I repeat:  I'm not being a crank.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> As a rough estimate, I looked up the use of an illustration, interior
> textbook, for use in Hong Kong on the Getty Image site. Interestingly Korea
> was not even on the list of Country choices...
>
> First edition use was $290, subsequent Edition use was $180.
>
> Corbis gave a flat $175 for textbook inside, 1/2 page image. They did have
> South Korea on their pick list.
>
> As you can see they are not asking for large amounts.  I think you may
> want to ask at that level at least. Send them a contract (digitally) and
> have them sign it and return it digitally, and have them put the money in
> your Paypal account before you send them the permission.
>
> Britt Griswold
> Science-Art.com manager

> instructions at

Bruce Bartrug