Natalya, I have interspersed a few short answers within your text below.
Is your contract with the design firm or with the botanical garden?
In my experience, it can be a bit trickier when you are signing a contract with and being paid by the exhibit design firm rather than their client in the sense that the exhibit design firm doesn't really have the power to enforce certain things in the contract, such as proper illustrator citations or such as the client selling merchandise with your illustrations on it.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Waterloo, Ontario