Laura,
My understanding is that you can register a bunch of images at once if you do so before they are published. The definition of "published" is open to interpretation; one lawyer suggested to me that I should register before I send the images to my client.

You should register your images if you believe your images have the potential - and will be available in some way (such as online) - for infringement. Also, you have to judge whether or not is worth the expense and hassle. Not a simple question.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Waterloo, Ontario