When you installed dropbox on your computer it added a folder called Dropbox. So when you drag you file from your folder to the dropbox folder you are just moving it around on your harddrive, not uploading it to the dropbox.com server. I usually copy and paste my files in the dropbox folder so I have two copies on my harddrive. When connected to internet it will sync it then but if large file it takes a while. Checking online is the only way to assure it is actually up there.

There are some tutorial videos at http://ianrhome.unl.edu/web/techtraining/dropbox

Lana

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Feltner
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Question about Dropbox

Thank you, Lana, it is helpful.

I notice that when I drag my files to the DB they are removed from my folders on my computer. As I read the instructions in depth, there should be a choice one has to either move or copy. I haven't really encountered where that command might be.... but for files sent to clients I drag over a duplicate of the file to the DB Public folder. It always takes a while to upload the files.

Perhaps if I purchased their service, there would be more options (and instructions)

I did check the capacity of my storage ability, by going to dropbox.com<http://dropbox.com> and signing in. After dragging my files back to my computer, it shows they are no longer in my DB folder. But I will go in and look at it through a browser again.

Another factor may be that the entire file I asked it to upload did not finish because I had reached my 2GB  capacity. I had a client file already up there which was large. I saw where half the files had a green check mark, one had a red X failure, and others had the circular blue arrows. The upload had stopped. Perhaps it was spooling the data before the actual upload? Thus allowing the instantaneous  reversal of the process? Curious.

Thanks so much,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325