Not sure if this is elsewhere in the thread, but what what Dropbox does is create an online copy of your hard drive folder called "dropbox" (and which the program links to the online folder).  Dropbox never removes files from your computer unless you tell it to stop syncing, at which point they will be deleted from your hard drive, only living online (this can be changed in the settings so that you keep a folder even after you stop syncing it). What's great about this is that if you have multiple computers, their dropbox folders are always synced with identical files.  Got a file at the office you want to work on at home? no problem. Save it at the office, then when you get home it's already synced with the same file and vise versa.  I actually use it for aftereffects, where I save my composition on my working machine, turn to my rendering machine and set it going, then return to my workstation and continue working on something else. When the render is done, it's automatically downloaded onto my workstation as well.

If one computer becomes physically destroyed or lost, you can install dropbox on your new machine and it will download the dropbox folder as it was last synced. This functionality actually saved me during my last move, when my primary workstation was ruined during the drive to Florida.

Syncing is tied to your internet speed-- download is generally 5-10x faster than upload (unless you've got fiber optic, in which case it can sometimes be equal). That being said, dropbox is basically a cloud backup, and allows you to send a direct link for the file to clients for review (handy with big video files) without having to upload it to an ftp site.

Drawbacks:  if you are working with someone else who has access to the same dropbox account, if they move a file from their dropbox folder to another non-synced folder on their machine, it disappears from the dropbox account. Also, if you stop syncing a folder and don't have the settings keep a copy on your computer, and then you want the folder back, you may have to wait to let it download again.  Also, with any cloud computing solution, there's always the (as yet unrealized) risk of a cyberattack destroying the off-site data.  This is something Dropbox and services like it work very hard to prevent.

Cameron