Hmm, I'm not finding the "don't delete this folder" option either.  It doesn't do it on my workstation, but it does delete them on my macs.  You can always prevent deletion by simply moving or copying the folder to another location on your hard drive not overseen by Dropbox.

I haven't unlinked a computer from dropbox in the last two years, but I believe it gives you an option to keep the files on your hard drive as well.

Dropbox uploads every file you have in the dropbox folder on your machine (that is, the one assigned to dropbox-- macs have another folder called drop box which is unrelated) to its servers, where you have dedicated storage space. When you change the file on your machine, it uploads the new version to its servers, so it always has the most up-to-date files.  This means that there are always 2 copies of the file or folder: one on your machine, one on the Dropbox Servers.

If you stop syncing a folder, it still lives on in the dropbox servers.  If you delete the folder or move it out of the dropbox folder on your machine, it's deleted from the dropbox servers. Therefore, if you simply tell it to stop syncing, the dropbox servers will have a folder in them that is not being updated from your computers anymore, but you can always get it back. It doesn't really make sense to do this unless you're uploading to dropbox for long term cold-storage of files you don't really access.

You can also always access your files via dropbox's web interface, and browse and download them directly as needed.