From: David Stouck <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, August 5, 2013 2:35 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [5BANKSTREET] Blanche H. Gelfant

Professor Blanche H. Gelfant, Dartmouth College, N.H., age 90, died on August 1st after a fall at her home in Hanover.  At the time of her death, Blanche was still an active scholar, preparing an essay on the American novel and the Civil War.  Some on this list will remember Blanche's astute and stylish conference presentations in the 1970s and 1980s.  Everyone in Cather studies is likely to have read some of her artfully-crafted pieces on Cather, especially her ground-breaking essay on My Antonia, published in 1971.  Blanche is survived by her daughter NIna, son Alan, and grandson Samuel.

David Stouck
Simon Fraser University
British Columbia