not only is that type period, it is recognized as frontrunner for the first
truly mechanical only movement.

The man who was to be come Pope Sylvester II had what is acknowledged as
the first completely mechanical clock in 996 CE, and it supposedly had this
radial pin design.  But that is all buried in my notes as to the quote
source.

However, to give you the reference you are desperately seeking:

1327 CE - Richard of Wallingford ("Tractus Horologii Astonomici") wrote on
a tower clock he built for the Abbey St. Albans that it had a "strobe
escapement", two wheels on the same axle with alternating radial teeth/
verge suspended BETWEEN them, with a short cross piece oscillating as the
wheels rotated past. (no currently known period examples exist, primarily
because they lost as much as several hours a day, and were quickly changed
over in the 1600s to the vertical pendulum because those lose only minutes
a day.

Part of the problem is that a) the first treatise on clock making wasn't
until 1364 when the son of a clockmaker expounded upon his father's work,
and b) as stated above, they were all changed over to the vertical pendulum
in the 1600s.

So,Good Master, since I seem to have gotten you hooked,  your other
research terms should include "escapements" and, oddly, "engines".

The best site I found, however, was .
www.my-time-machines.net/speech_final_web.pdf.  Full out presentation on
the subject. I can give you more if you like, but that is the mother lode.

franz